Sunday, May 8, 2011

Delicious Incidentals!

This weekend I decided to head to Rhode Island and join my brother for some striper fishing. During the week he had been fishing the famous worm hatches with fairly good results, with every phone call and text I grew more and more anxious for friday afternoon to come! Friday finally came, and brought with it a perfect 70 degrees, sunny, with light winds. The cinder worms should be going nuts! Unfortunately there wasn't a worm to be found, and the bass were either no longer in the pond, or not feeding. We managed a couple fish, and had a great time none-the less. 
Hooked up to a schoolie from the kayak
Saturday morning we slept in a bit...till about 545, grabbed some breakfast and launched the kayaks back into the same pond. Brian missed bite, I never even had a tug. After a single drift we decided to try another spot and packed it in. Launched at spot 2, fished in 2 different places without seeing a fish. After a while I decide to roam some some skinny water in hopes of finding a fish up on the flats...although a bit early, I thought maybe the warmer water would attract a couple up. No fish there either, but I did spot a squid! I decided I was going to try and catch the squid, knowing they are usually fairly aggressive. When I got back to where it was, I found a school of them! I drifted my fly past without a strike, so I went to snag mode, and after a few tries I got one! I called my brother over, and we both were at it now....I snagged one more, and the school took off. Oh well, Calamari for dinner!
Snagged Squid!
So, although I didn't come back to CT with the sore arms I was hoping for, I still had a great couple of days fishing some different water with my brother. Maybe next weekend....

Back on the homefront, reports from the CT river are better daily! Time to get down there!!

Captain Bill
860.918.2338
Captbille@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment