Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter Weekend

Well its that time of year when its tough to decide what to fish for!!! Everything is starting to happen! On friday my friend Mike (some of you might know him as "Huskybass" from the local internet fishing forums) invited me up north...way up north...to fish one of his smallmouth honeyholes with him. We met early, drove for couple hours, and hit the water. It was a little colder up there than at home, a chilly 32 degrees! The water temp started at 46, and even by noon was only up to 48 or 49. This made things tough to say the least! We did manage a few fish, the best of which was this smallmouth, a solid 2.5 or so.
Mike with a nice smallie
Saturday morning I went along on a youth turkey hunt. The rain held off and let us hunt for a couple hours but the birds didn't want to cooperate for us. Hopefully next saturday the weather and turkeys are more forgiving! Saturday night my brother came home from RI for easter, and after a quick dinner with our parents we hurried to a local lake hoping for more smallmouth action. We fished for just over an hour and managed 3 smallies, the best of which was about 16", a solid pound and a half. It was my first time fishing from a canoe in a long time, brought back a lot of fun memories from our youth!
My canoe smallmouth
Sunday morning Brian and I joined Chris in his skiff out onto the lower CT river hoping to find some long overdue striper action. To say it was foggy would be a gross understatement, you could rarely see more than 50 yards or so. The river was the color of chocolate milk, and full of debris making for interesting conditions. The fishing was slow, I don't think the aforementioned helped. I did manage one fish which I think was a local, but I can't say for sure....
First 2011 CT river striper, photo by Brian Embacher
Despite the slow fishing, we did see and or hear a lot of waterfowl, which is of course my other passion! We spent the morning surrounded by Buffleheads, Old Squaw, Brant, Mallards, Gadwall, Canada geese, and handful of shorebirds. 

More rain coming this week....all week.  Its getting old!!! Thanks for reading!
Capt. Bill




No comments:

Post a Comment